The learning goals for this unit are to:
- Develop and use mental math strategies to add and subtract two 1-digit numbers, including zero
- Look for patterns in digits when adding and subtracting
- Understand and use the relationship between addition and subtraction (for example 2 + 7 = 9 and 9 - 7 = 2)
- Find out if 2 sides of a number sentence are equal or not equal (for example 10 - 6 + 4 and 2 + 3 ≠ 10)
- Share addition and subtraction story problems about things in your neighbourhood. For example, “There are 15 houses on our street. 9 of them have a garage. How many do not have a garage?”
- Have your child build a set of 5 to 9 pennies and then add 1, 2, or 3 pennies to that number. Have your child tell the addition sentence. Then, take the same number of pennies away. Have your child tell the subtraction sentence.
- With your child, look around the home for items that come in equal sets. Discuss what happens if you add items or take a few items away. Are the sets still equal?
- When you set the table, have your child add groups of items on the table (forks, knives, glasses). Try adding them in a different order. Have your child explain why the order doesn’t matter.
- Have your child take a number of cans from the cupboard. Use a cloth to hide some of them. Have your child explain how addition can be used to find out how many are covered.
- When you spend leisure time with your child, pose different missing parts problems. Have your child explain how he or she figured out the answer.
- When you solve everyday subtraction problems, ask your child questions such as, “What do we already know?” “What piece is missing?”
- Use 2 digits to write and solve addition sentences with your child. For example, if the digits are 8 and 9, the sentence is 8 + 9 = 17.
- Ask your child to tell a number story using a double or near doubles (such as 6 + 6 = 12 or 5 + 6 = 11).
- Watch for situations where your child can use a strategy to add or subtract 1-digit numbers.
You can also play the video and games below for extra practice at home!